Bacon Blue Cheeseburger Egg Rolls. After a long and very busy week, becoming a full-time couch potato sounded pretty great last night.
For a very brief moment, cooking was the last thing I wanted to do. Shocking right? My friend and I thought about ordering in (something we rarely do), but we’re both so indecisive that even picking a cuisine was too big of a challenge.
Chinese food was on my friend’s mind, while I wanted a classic burger and fries (another rarity). But as I said, my feelings about having a cook-free night were very brief. Maybe 5 minutes….maybe.
I still wanted that burger and fries, though. Unfortunately, a few key things were missing – burger buns and fries. Whoopsies. BUT, we did have egg roll wrappers (also something we rarely just have in our fridge).
So….cheeseburger egg rolls, anyone? Deliciously seasoned beef, caramelized onions, bacon, and gooey blue cheese, were all fried in an egg roll. It was truly the best of both worlds. I had my burger and something-fried fix, while my friend had something very slightly related to Chinese food. I definitely won, though.
And that, my friends, was how the Bacon Blue Cheeseburger Egg Rolls recipe was born!
Amazing Bacon Blue Cheeseburger Egg Rolls
- 8 medium egg roll wrappers
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 cup red onions sliced
- ½ cup blue cheese crumbled
- 1 small bottle olive oil
- ⅛ cup water to help shape the egg rolls
For The Beef:
- 1 cup ground beef lean
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon Montreal Steak Seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1½ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Mix together all of the ingredients for the beef. Set aside.
- Cook bacon over medium heat. Remove from the pan and drain off excess fat.
- Heat some olive oil and sauté onions until lightly browned. Remove onions from the pan and set aside.
- Cook the ground beef and drain off excess fat. Chop bacon into small pieces and add back to the beef along with the cooked onions.
To Assemble The Egg Rolls:
- Lay one egg roll wrapper in front of you, so it is in a diamond shape.
- Put about 1 tablespoon of the beef mixture near the center of the diamond, but slightly closer to the corner nearest you. Add a few onions and a bit of blue cheese on top of the beef.
- Line the outside edges of the wrapper with water. Fold the bottom corner nearest you over the filling. Gently press and seal around the filling. Fold the left and right corners of the wrapper towards the middle. Roll the wrapper forward, ensuring that the filling is firm and fully sealed inside.
- Add olive oil to a pan, ensuring that you have enough oil to cover at least half of the egg roll. The amount of oil will depend on the size of your pan. Heat the oil to between 320°F and 340°F. Cook each roll for about 45 seconds, flipping halfway or until golden brown. Drain excess oil on a paper towel.
- Serve immediately with your favorite condiment. Sriracha, ketchup, mustard, and sweet chili Thai sauce all work great.