This blue cheese burger may be the best burger I’ve ever had. I may be slightly overwhelmed with its awesomeness. It was created one day many months ago when one of my impromptu Sunday food nights happened, and I scrounged up these components from the nether regions of my packed fridge.
It’s so big that it is a sin to eat the entire thing, and yet you will. You will eat every last bit and then lick your fingers clean while lamenting the fact that you just ate the whole thing. But it will have been worth it, so you go right ahead with my blessing. You deserve this blue cheese burger!
The jumping-off point in this blue cheese burger recipe is my spicy Sriracha bacon. I chopped up some and put it inside the burger and then topped it off with more strips of the stuff.
This massive thing of beauty has blue cheese, caramelized onions, jalapenos, and an ungodly amount of that ridiculous bacon.
Bacon Jalapeno Blue Cheese Burger
- 2 pounds ground chuck 80/20 ratio
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt to taste
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 2 small Jalapenos small diced
- 12 slices Smoked Bacon thick-cut
- ¾ cup sriracha
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 medium yellow onion sliced thinly
- 2 tablespoons butter unsalted
- ½ cup blue cheese plus more to assemble burgers
- 4 slices Monterey Jack Cheese
- 1 small head Lettuce
- 1 medium pickles sliced
- 1 large tomatoes sliced
- 4 medium burger buns cut in half
- Get yourself the best thick-cut smoked bacon you can find. Lay slices out on a wire rack set over a foil-lined baking pan, and bake at 425°F for about 15 minutes or so.
- Remove it from the oven and turn them over using tongs. Generously brush the bacon with the Sriracha/brown sugar mixture.
- Put it back in the oven for another 15 to 20 minutes until it’s crispy and starting to blacken around the edges.
- Chop up 4 of the slices once they have cooled and reserve the other 8 for the burger assembly.
- While the bacon is cooking, work on the onions. Thinly slice a medium yellow onion.
- Heat your non-stick pan or cast-iron skillet over medium heat, and then melt your butter. Throw the onions in, season with some Kosher Salt and cook, frequently stirring, until they are soft and nicely browned, for about 15 minutes or so.
- Next, throw the ground beef, chopped bacon, diced jalapenos, ½ cup crumbled blue cheese, about 2 teaspoons of kosher salt and a generous amount of freshly cracked black pepper into a medium bowl and get to work. Use your hands to mix.
- Heat your skillet over medium-high heat. Divide the mixture into four equal portions and form into patties. Cook for about 5 minutes on each side until you’ve reached the desired internal temperature. I usually cut a tiny slice into one of mine and check it.
- To assemble the burgers, toast your buns in the oven or the cast iron skillet.
- Put some lettuce on top of the bottom bun, then add the burger. Top with the caramelized onions, tomatoes, pickles, 2 more slices of bacon and more blue cheese crumbles.