Love Gruyere cheese? You need to try these Gruyere and Egg Burgers that you will surely love. It’s a cheeseburger taken to another level with the unique cheese flavour and added texture of the fried egg.
Gourmet Gruyere and Egg Burgers
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest grated
- 2 pounds lean ground beef 90% lean
- 1 tablespoon mustard stone-ground
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 8 slices Gruyere cheese
- 8 mini pretzel buns split
Fried Eggs Ingredients
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 8 large eggs
- 1 bunch arugula
- 2 medium tomatoes sliced
- 1 tablespoon mustard optional
- Whisk lemon zest, lemon juice, garlic, and mayonnaise together until combined. Let sit in the refrigerator.
- For making burgers, mix the next 6 ingredients together, tossing lightly until thoroughly mixed (make sure not to overmix).
- Form into 8 patties. Cover and grill over medium direct heat for 5 to 7 minutes per side until a thermometer reads 160 degrees. Use cheese to dredge on top; cover and keep grilling for 1 to 2 more minutes until cheese melts. On bun bottoms, place burgers. Keep warm.
- In each of 2 large skillets, melt a tablespoon of butter over medium heat (on stovetop or grill). Break eggs into a saucer or a custard cup, one egg at a time, then slide into pans gently. Lower heat to low right away. To make eggs sunny-side up, cook, cover, till yolks get thickened yet are not hard.
- For making basted eggs, during the cooking process, in the pan, spoon butter over the eggs. For making over-easy, flip eggs carefully for both sides to cook, yet do not cover the pan.
- For serving, spread over bun tops with mayonnaise mixture.
- Place tomatoes, arugula, and extra mustard (optional) onto burgers. Top burgers with fried eggs. Replace bun tops.