This Savoury Black Bean Burgers With Cheddar and Jalapeño recipe is a very simple vegan burger you can whip up at home. You don’t need to buy ready-made vegetarian burgers as this homemade one is more delicious and much healthier.
Savoury Black Bean Burgers With Cheddar and Jalapeño
- ¼ cup vegetable oil divided
- 1 small onion small diced
- 2 medium jalapeños small diced and divided
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 15 ounces black beans drained
- ¼ cup tortilla chips crushed
- 1 medium egg beaten
- ½ cup cheddar cheese shredded and divided
- ½ cup mayonnaise cream
- 1 pinch cumin
- 4 small hamburger buns
- 4 slices red onion
- 4 leaves lettuce
- 1 dash salt
- 1 dash pepper
- Place a large skillet over medium heat. Add a bit of oil, then add in the onion, ½ of the jalapeño, salt, and pepper. Cook until the onions begin to soften, for about 3 minutes.
- Remove the pan from heat and stir in the garlic. Add your beans and mash with a potato masher or fork until smooth yet still slightly chunky. Stir in the crushed tortilla chips, egg, and ¼ cup of the cheddar. Form the mixture into 4 equally-sized patties.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. In a food processor, combine the mayonnaise, the remaining jalapeno, cumin, salt, and pepper, then blend until smooth. Strain the mayonnaise mixture into a small bowl and place it in the refrigerator.
- Place a large skillet over medium heat. Add the remaining oil to the pan,then add the patties and cook until browned on and very much cooked through in the middle, about 6 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate.
- Place the buns, cut side up on a baking sheet and toast until golden, about 7 minutes. Top each bottom bun with a burger, sprinkle the burgers with the remaining cheddar, and spread about 1 tablespoon of the jalapeno cream on the cut side of the top bun. Top each burger with a slice of onion, lettuce leaf, and a dressed bun, then serve.