Who can come up with the best burger recipes? Well, it’s mostly a matter of taste and what you add to your basic hamburger recipes.
Until now, mine was really simple, but it is one of the best burger recipes: use ground beef, make patties, cook on the bbq and add a slice of each, onion, and tomato, spread with relish and mustard…
But when I asked my friend, Mr Google, I realized that you could take the basic hamburger recipe (see below) and elevate it to a ‘gourmet’ burger by adding a few ingredients and trying out different burger toppings.
So really, the best burger recipes are the ones you create yourself based on your own taste.
BBQ hamburgers are the best, the flavor is much more savory, and there is less mess to deal with when cooked in a pan.
The Best Burger Recipes
- 1 medium egg
- 2 tablespoons water
- ½ small onion grated
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce or Worcestershire sauce
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 pinch salt to taste
- 1 pinch pepper to taste
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano I prefer basil or fresh coriander
- 1 pound ground beef medium lean
- 4 medium hamburger buns
- Beat egg with water; add onion, mustard, sauce, garlic, salt, pepper, and spices. Mix with beef. Divide into four ¾-inch (2 cm) thick patties.
- Grill on the BBQ over medium-high heat; close the lid, turning once until the meat thermometer inserted sideways into the centre reads 160°F (71°C).
- Grill the buttered buns.
- Add whatever topping you prefer.
- Buy medium-lean ground beef if you want juicy burgers.
- There is a cool way to add stuffing to your hamburger meat that will prevent the patties from falling apart on the grill. For each burger, make 2 thin patties, put your stuffing (see suggestions below) on one of them, leaving room all around, then top with the other patty and press edges to seal.
Your Own Personal Creation
Add any of the following to meat before cooking
- chopped onion
- chopped garlic
- steak seasoning
- package dried onion soup mix
- Worcestershire sauce
- pickled jalapeno peppers, finely chopped
- grated cheddar cheese
- crisp cooked bacon
- Dijon mustard
- sour cream
- roasted red peppers
- slices of bacon
- slice of brie cheese
- avocado slices
- sauteed mushrooms
- caramelized onions
- hot pepper
Change the Buns
- Try a variety of buns, such as onion, cheese, olive, sesame, poppy seed, whole wheat, herb, or large kaisers.
Spread it on
- Try spreading your buns with Dijon or Russian-style mustard, light mayonnaise, herbed cream cheese, tapenade, guacamole, or pesto.
- Instead of the usual relish, try a corn or zucchini relish.
- Have fun building your own version of the best burger recipes.