This outrageous, fully loaded, fresh ground bacon burgers started with humble beginnings. A few weeks ago, my latest and greatest messy and ridiculous idea was that we should grind our hamburger meat. I’m not sure why this idea popped into my brain, but I’m thrilled it did! My parents have meat grinding attachment for the KitchenAid (which was getting lonely from lack of use), so they let me borrow it.
Two pounds of chuck and 1/2 package of bacon later, greatness emerges in patty form.
These fresh ground bacon burgers are so tender, juicy, and full of flavour. The difference between this fresh ground meat and a package of hamburger you would pick up at the store is night and day.
Fresh Ground Bacon Burgers
- 2 pounds chuck roast
- 1 pound bacon
- 2 teaspoons salt to taste
- 3 teaspoons pepper to taste
- 3 teaspoons garlic powder to taste
- Cut chuck roast into 2-inch cubes (or appropriate size to fit in your meat grinder). Do not trim the fat. Cut bacon into 2-inch pieces and mix with chuck roast in a large container that can be placed in the freezer.
- Cover the chuck roast and bacon pieces and freeze for about 1 hour, or until the meat is firm but not frozen solid.
- Thirty minutes before grinding, place the meat grinder (and all its blades and pieces) into the freezer.
- When the meat is firm, and the grinder is cold, remove everything from the freezer and sprinkle the meat with salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste.
- Follow the directions for your specific meat grinder and get all that bacon and chuck ground up. Once ground, give it a quick mix with your hands.
- I recommend using a small scale to weigh out the patties so that they are uniform. We went with quarter-pound burgers, but you can make them as big or small as you would like!
- Use the patty press and storage containers to form your burgers and pop them in the freezer until you can grill them!
- Alternatively: Use your hands to free form patties. Freeze in a large Ziploc bag with a layer of wax paper in between each patty
- When ready to cook, preheat your skillet and add a bit of oil.
- Fry each side until browned nicely.