This is another favourite recipe we’ve been making. They’re not hamburger patties, but healthier, less expensive, and tasty to boot. They are black bean patties, and they’re yummy!
I made two different salsas–to see what we liked best. One was equal parts fresh tomatoes and avocados with a squeeze of lime juice. I love avocados, and I know they’re all the rage these days because they’re supposedly good for you, even though several years ago they weren’t good for you!
Filling Black Bean Patties With Salsa
This recipe for black bean patties with salsa is such a good vegan recipe to try. Check out how you can easily make this at home.
- 1 cup bread crumbs whole wheat
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cups black beans rinsed
- 1 cup brown rice cooked
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons jalapeños minced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ cup cilantro optional
- 1 cup tomatoes diced
- 1 cup avocado diced
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet. Add chopped onions and minced garlic and saute until soft.
- Meanwhile, put several slices of whole wheat bread into the food processor and pulse to form crumbs.
- Add the sautèed onions, garlic, and all the remaining patty ingredients to the food processor and process until the mixture is well-combined, almost pureed.
- Divide the mixture into eight equal-sized portions and form into patties.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a skillet. Once the skillet is hot, add the patties and cook until browned and crusty on both sides. Add more oil, if necessary, before browning the remaining patties.
- Combine the salsa ingredients and serve beside or on top of the patties. It’s best to combine this salsa just before serving. Even with the acid from the tomato and the lime juice, the avocado will turn brown after a while. Or, if you prefer, serve with another favourite salsa.
Calories: 507kcalCarbohydrates: 85gProtein: 16gFat: 12gSaturated Fat: 2gPolyunsaturated Fat: 2gMonounsaturated Fat: 7gSodium: 498mgPotassium: 834mgFiber: 14gSugar: 4gVitamin A: 523IUVitamin C: 22mgCalcium: 110mgIron: 5mg
Have you tried this recipe?Let us know what you think!