While searching for ways to use black beans, I came across a recipe on Pinterest for Chipotle Black Bean Burgers. So I made it despite the initial resistance from my husband. When I told him what was for dinner, he responded that these burgers lacked one main ingredient – meat.
However, after trying them, he did acquiesce that these Chipotle Black Bean Burgers are indeed quite tasty and could appear on our dinner table again in the future. Score one for healthy vegetarian dinners!
Mouthwatering Chipotle Black Bean Burgers
These chipotle black bean burgers are tasty and could appear on our dinner table again in the future. Score one for healthy vegetarian dinners!
- 1 cup black beans
- 7 cups water
- 1 dash oregano
- 2 dash black pepper
- 1 dash paprika
- dash chili powder
- ¼ small red onion chopped
- 1 can chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup salsa
- ¾ cup corn kernels canned, fresh, or thawed
- ¾ cup Panko bread crumbs
- 1 medium egg white
- 1 medium avocado
- 1 dash salt
- 4 medium buns whole-wheat
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- If not using a can of black beans, prepare the black beans. I never remember doing an overnight soak, so I quickly soak my beans by adding 3 to 4 cups of water to rinsed beans, oregano, pepper, paprika, and chilli powder, and bringing them to a boil for 2 minutes.
- Then I remove them from heat and let them sit, covered, for an hour. Finally, I rinse them and add 3 to 4 cups of freshwater so that I can let them simmer, covered, for about another hour.
- In the meantime, add the onion, and chipotle pepper in abodo sauce plus the extra sauce, 2 garlic cloves, cumin, and salt to a blender. Add half to the blender once the beans are done and pulse until mostly smooth.
- Add the bean mixture to the rest of the beans, corn, salsa, bread crumbs, and egg white in a bowl. Mix with a spatula. Don’t freak out, it will be wet.
- Spray the nonstick pan generously and cook patties for 5 to 6 minutes on each side. Resist the urge to flip them on the first side of browning; the patties need the total time to avoid falling apart.
- While the patties are browning, mash one avocado with a dash of salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Add mashed avocado, salsa and patty on a bun and enjoy!
Calories: 457kcalCarbohydrates: 82gProtein: 17gFat: 11gSaturated Fat: 1gPolyunsaturated Fat: 2gMonounsaturated Fat: 5gSodium: 598mgPotassium: 827mgFiber: 16gSugar: 28gVitamin A: 1700IUVitamin C: 29mgCalcium: 223mgIron: 6mg
Have you tried this recipe?Let us know what you think!