I know, I know, who wants to eat a veggie burger? But hear me out because this delicious meal is also heart-friendly and won’t be dripping in fat like your usual artery-clogging meat burgers. So try it out and see for yourself.
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1/2 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 can of black beans, well-drained
- 2 slices of bread, crumbled
- 3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon of chopped fresh oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon of seasoned salt
- 1 tablespoon of chilli powder
- 1 tablespoon of cumin
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon of hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon of corn
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Start by lightly sautéing the onions in a saucepan (honestly, I didn’t even need oil for this, but you can add a teaspoon of olive oil if it helps prevent sticking – it is also an added yum factor)
- Add garlic and continue stirring over low heat.
- Add the bell peppers and stir till they soften slightly.
- Add the black beans and once they heat, begin mashing to soften the beans.
- Add additional spices and turn off the heat.
- Add the black bean mix and the egg and mesh thoroughly to form a thick paste in a food processor.
- Divide the bean mixture into portions and grill for about 15 to 20 minutes. If you don’t have a grill, you can bake them in the oven, but you must remember to flip the patty over after 10 minutes.