Healthy Mirage Portobello Burger. Since it’s mushroom season, I thought I would make some typical comfort food. But I think there might still be a couple of evenings coming that are warm enough for a bbq, so why not do a summery veggie burger?
I have wanted to make this Mirage Portobello Burger for my family forever. The problem is I’ve been looking and looking for these special mushrooms for so long without any luck. Then yesterday, after dozing off in the park and a bike ride, I decided to do some shopping. There they were, a basket with bouncy, firm, big PORTOBELLO mushrooms! Is it a mirage?! Am I crazy? I almost started dancing out of joy, but instead, I carefully grabbed a bunch of them and started planning a burger dinner.
In this Mirage Portobello Burger, I do use a lot of shortcuts because when it’s the end of summer, you don’t want to use those precious sun-hours slaving in the kitchen but rather be outside. But if you have time, you can make your own mayonnaise and burger buns! I just bought a nice ready-made vegan mayonnaise and tasty, slightly chewy bread. I really appreciate the smoky flavor. That’s why I’m using both chipotle powder and smoked cheese, but if you wanna have a less smoky flavor, just remove those and use normal chili and no cheese (vegan!) or cheddar, for example.
You can either use a barbecue to prepare the burgers and the corn that I serve or do it on the stove at home. Either way, the Mirage Portobello Burger will taste super duper! This recipe is calculated for 2 burgers.
Healthy Mirage Portobello Burger
- 2 large portobello mushrooms
- 2 large buns
- 1½ tablespoons olive oil
- ½ tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 dash soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon chipotle powder
- ¼ medium fresh chili
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 small dill , sprig
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 4 slices smoked cheese
- 1 head lettuce
- ¼ medium red onion
- ½ large tomato
- 1 medium avocado
- ½ medium lime
- Cut the stem off the mushrooms, and stir the ingredients for the marinade together (oil, vinegar, salt, pepper, honey, soy sauce, fresh chili, and chipotle powder). I would add some finely chopped garlic to the marinade here if you don’t have a sensitive stomach like me! Soak the mushrooms in the marinade for about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, you can prepare the sauce and the vegetables. Just cut all the vegetables thinly, and squeeze the lime juice on the avocado. Stir together mayonnaise, dijon mustard, honey, chipotle powder, salt, and pepper!
- Heat up a frying pan with some olive oil.
- Now fry the mushrooms for about 5 minutes on each side. When they are done, put the cheese on top and let it melt for a minute.
- Assemble the burger by cutting the bun in the middle and toasting it slightly, then add the dressing on the bottom and top half. Put the lettuce, tomato and onion slices on the bottom half, add the mushroom and put the avocado slices evenly on top of the burger. ENJOY!