If only In-And-Out sold veggie burgers like these Appetizing Sunny Garden Burgers, I will travel far just to get them.
I’ll stop dreaming now. I’m more of a fan of homemade anyway. So there. Also, these sunny little beauties can easily be made with leftovers that you already have sitting around. Beans and rice are big staples here, so I already had some cooked and ready to go.
Got lunch? These are delicious. That’s what it was. I’ve always struggled with garden burgers. Taste and consistency don’t necessarily go hand and hand, after all. These ones, though, are, well, really good! Like holy sunflower good! Yes. You’re making them.
These burgers are vegan and oil-free and can easily be made gluten-free with gluten-free bread and gluten-free oats.
- 1/2 cup of chopped raw onion
- 1/2 cup of packed chopped raw kale
- 1 cup of cooked black beans
- Flax egg made with 1 1/2 tablespoon of ground flax plus 3 tablespoons of water
- 1/2 cup of cooked brown rice
- 1/3 cup of raw hulled sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup of rolled oats
- 2 tablespoons of nutritional yeast flakes
- 3/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon of cumin
- 2 slices of sprouted whole-grain bread (or any whole-wheat bread)
- Put the chopped onion, kale, 1/2 cup of cooked black beans (save the other 1/2 cup for later), and the flax egg in a food processor and process until relatively smooth. Pour the mixture into a bowl and add the remaining black beans, rice, sunflower seeds, oats, nutritional yeast, salt, and spices. Mix thoroughly.
- Now grind the two slices of bread in the food processor until fine, and mix in as well. Form mixture into 8 patties. I found that these work great in the oven and the skillet.
- For the skillet: set on medium heat, and once the pan is hot, spray lightly with olive oil. Cook burgers for a few minutes on each side or until lightly browned (which takes a few minutes – depending on your pan's heat).
- For the oven: Pre-heat to 375 degrees Fahrenheit and bake on a well-oiled baking sheet for 10 minutes on each side, or until lightly browned. If you have a sporadically hot oven, check them at 7 minutes, and you may need to flip them early.
- Serve with any side or bread.