There is no specific inspiration for this Chinese Five-Spice Pork Tacos recipe. I have made Asian-pork-many-different-things before. However, we like Asian food in this house, and we were in a bit of a rut – we needed something different. Enter the Asian-something-pork-wrap-or taco-thingy. I had a recipe I put together a couple of years ago (and miraculously had the fortitude to write it up). So I figured that I would use that as inspiration.
So, here you go. I give you Chinese-Five Spice Pork Tacos, tacked up with crunchy veggie goodness, topped with a drizzle of the sweet, spicy, tangy sauce found in my pantry.
- ¼ cup of soy sauce
- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons of rice wine vinegar
- ¼ cup of sugar
- ¾ teaspoon of chilli garlic sauce (the hot stuff) or Sriracha
- Six garlic cloves, minced
- 2-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and finely grated
- 2 pounds of pork roast (I used 2 1-pound pork tenderloins)
- 1 tablespoon of Chinese five-spice
- 1 tablespoon of garlic powder
- ½ pound of prepared coleslaw (cabbage) mix
- Lettuce leaves
- 10 flour or brown rice tortillas
- Thai sweet chilli sauce
- ¼ – ⅓ bunch of cilantro, chopped
- Mix Chinese five-spice, 1 teaspoon of salt, and garlic powder in a bowl. Coat pork tenderloins with it.
- Place pork in the crockpot. Add ingredients, soy sauce through ginger. Cook for 2-3 hours on Hi or 5-6 hours on low heat. (If using 1 pound tenderloins, cook on low for three hours)
- Remove pork and shred with 2 forks. Put the pork back into the crockpot, stirring it into the sauce. With lid off, cook for additional 15-20 minutes on high heat to thicken the sauce.
- While the pork is finishing up, combine coleslaw, 2 tablespoons of rice wine vinegar, and 1 teaspoon of salt in a bowl. Mix.
- Scoop pork onto tortilla or lettuce leaves. Top with coleslaw mix, lettuce (if using tortillas). Drizzle about ½ teaspoon of Thai Sweet chilli sauce on top. Sprinkle with some chopped cilantro. Wrap and enjoy!
To make this gluten-free, use brown rice or corn tortillas. To make it low carb, use lettuce and make it as a wrap.