Let’s face it: if you want your BBQ burgers to be the best they can be, you need the proper BBQ sauce. There are plenty of pre-made options out there – and many that are quite tasty – but if you want the perfect flavour, you need complete control over the ingredients and the taste. That means making your DIY BBQ sauce. It may seem daunting at first, but BBQ sauce is relatively easy to make.
Once you nail the basics, you can even play around with some of the ingredients to add an extra spicy quick, or a sweeter note, to whatever you choose to eat that day. Plus, if you’re trying to watch your nutrition, you can substitute some ingredients to make the sauce a bit more digestible and easier on your diet.
And if you’re feeling experimental, you can always add a Bourbon Whiskey to your sauce later for the ultimate complex flavour. Here’s how to make a beginner DIY BBQ sauce:
Easy DIY BBQ Sauce Recipe
- ½ cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 dash hot pepper sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon mustard powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Heat a saucepan over the stove at medium heat.
- Add the ketchup, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, vinegar, hot pepper sauce, garlic powder, mustard powder, and salt.
- Before pulling it from the heat, you will want to bring it to a simmer so that all the flavours blend together.
- Remember to let it cool before brushing it on the meat of your choice – we recommend ribs or chicken wings.