It’s time for a new paleo mayo recipe. Why? Well, as much as I love olive oil mayo, the peppery flavour of extra virgin olive oil can be a little overpowering for some. So, what to do when we need a mildly flavoured oil? That’s not crap. Enter the avocado.
I love everything about avocados. I can’t believe I spent so much of my life not eating them. So let’s talk briefly about all the great things this little green bulb offers.
Using its oil to make paleo mayo is another way to get all these delicious and healthy fats into our bodies. Using a cold application, we run zero risk of any oxidization due to heat (avocado oil, though, is stable for medium-high heat cooking).
Hearty Paleo Mayo Recipe
- 2 medium egg yolks
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 ½ cups avocado oil
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Put the yolks, lemon juice, mustard and salt into the food processor and blitz for a few seconds until it’s blended.
- With the food processor running, pour the avocado oil a few drips at a time. You need to start out adding the oil super, super slowly. We’re creating an emulsion, and for it to stay locked, you have to start out slow. When you see it getting a little thicker (after a tablespoon or two worth), you can start streaming the rest of the oil in, keeping the processor running. Slow and steady here. It takes a couple of minutes, but you will see it thicken.
- When it’s at a good, thick consistency, you can add the garlic clove and blitz for another 15 seconds or so. Check the flavour and add more salt if needed. If it’s too thick, add a touch of water. Not thick enough? A bit more oil. That’s it. You’re done. Find a jar with a lid and store it in the fridge.
- This is just the base for a million varieties. You can add roasted garlic, chipotle peppers, paprika, or anything.