Now that I know how to cook gluten-free foods, I hardly miss the gluten. I often like my substitutions more! It’s all about enjoying the things you can eat instead of dwelling on the things you can’t like, these delicious Easy Vegan Falafel Burgers!
These are so tasty! I have always loved falafel but never liked the fact that they needed to be deep-fried. I don’t like how deep-fried food makes me feel. I become tired and bloated. However, these falafel burgers have all the flavor without the grease.
- Patty Ingredients
- 1 can of chickpeas
- 1/4 cup of almond meal
- 5 tablespoons of lemon juice
- 1/2 small onion or 1 shallot, diced
- 3-5 large cloves of garlic
- 1 bunch of parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of pepper
- 1 pinch of cardamom
- 1 teaspoon of curry powder
- 1 teaspoon of ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon of ground cumin
- Topping Ingredients
- Swiss chard leaves
- Tweet peppers
- Put lemon juice, garlic, parsley, salt, and pepper in your food processor. Process for about 2 minutes, scraping down sides as needed.
- Add chickpeas and spices. Allow to blend for a little while more. Do not over-process! You do not want to make hummus!
- Pour the mixture into a medium bowl. Add almond meal and onions. Mix well until combined.
- Mold into burger patties and place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Place in the fridge for 15 minutes to an hour. The longer you store them in the fridge, the more the flavors will pop. I left mine for an hour, but 15 minutes will do fine in a pinch.
- During this time, preheat the oven to 380 degrees Fahrenheit. Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat in a frying pan or skillet. Place burgers in the pan. Cook the falafel burgers for 2 minutes on each side or until crisp on the surface. This adds a nice texture, but for an oil-free option, simply omit this step.
- Place the falafel on the middle rack of your oven for about 40 minutes. Eat them straight out of the oven or put them in the fridge. Make sure you allow them to cool before refrigerating, so they don’t become soggy. It should last in the refrigerator for up to a week.