We used to buy veggie burgers all the time. Sure they are easy to buy, but making them is quite simple and so much better for you, as there are no preservatives added. And you can make them with anything you have lying around. So I threw together whatever veggies were left in the fridge and made these Sunflower Quinoa Veggie Burgers.
We loved the flavours, and the red quinoa added a slight crunch factor. It was one of our favourites, and they even stayed together nicely while cooking. You’ll have to play around with the amount of flour as too little or too much, and they will break apart, but once you get the right balance, these Sunflower Quinoa Veggie Burgers should be perfect.
Amazing Sunflower Quinoa Veggie Burgers
- 1 medium zucchini
- 1 cup kidney beans cooked
- 1 medium carrot peeled and chopped
- 2 stalks green onions washed well, chopped
- 7 small mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon flax seeds
- 1 cup quinoa cooked
- ½ cup quick oats
- 1 handful basil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ¼ cup sunflower seeds
- 2 tablespoons psyllium husk
- ¼ cup breadcrumbs homemade
- ¼ cup flour
- ½ cup egg white
- 1 teaspoon sea salt fresh ground black pepper, chili flakes sprinkle to taste
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper light dusting
- Place the first ten ingredients into a food processor (if you have a small processor like I do, you may need to add a few ingredients together first, blend, transfer to a big bowl and continue) and pulse.
- Transfer to a bowl. Add the seeds, spices, psyllium fibre, breadcrumbs and liquid egg white. Stir to combine.
- Add flour a little at a time until the mixture comes together and is not too wet (but not too dry either).
- Shape into 10 patties.
- Spray a flat pan with some olive oil and place on medium-high heat. When warm, add patties and let cook for about 5 to 8 minutes on each side or until golden brown.