Veggie burgers that you buy or eat at restaurants are so mysterious. It tastes good, but it doesn’t look or taste like any vegetable you’ve ever had. So the whole thing is a mystery to me when I started making veggie burger recipes. So last week, I tried to make lentil and mushroom burger patties to test how they taste.
I had those leftover green lentils that I cooked the other day, and I figured I could somehow get them into a patty and cook them up.
Lentil and Mushroom Burger
- 4 large mushrooms
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 medium carrot
- ⅓ medium onion
- 1 small handful cilantro fresh, if you don't like cilantro, try regular parsley, or even some spinach leaves
- 2 cups brown lentils or prepared green
- ½ cup flour
- 1 small pack spices
- 3 tablespoons oil for cooking, refined coconut if possible
- Take the mushrooms, garlic, carrot, onion, and cilantro and put them all in the food processor until small and evenly sized. Dump them in a bowl.
- Add to the bowl the 2 cups of cooked lentils.
- Spice it up. I added cumin, coriander, caraway, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Lentils can take a lot of spice, so add a little more than you think you need.
- Add ½ cup of flour to the mixture. With a fork, or your hands, smush up the mixture. You want to make it so that the flour mixes all in evenly. The flour is what makes it able to form and maintain a patty shape. Once mixed, put some in your hand and form a patty. If it forms a nice solid one, it's good to go; if it crumbles or falls apart, add a little more flour until it's just right.
- Get a nice big skillet out. In your skillet, heat a layer of oil. I’d highly recommend using refined coconut oil for this. But you could use canola, corn, etc. But really, coconut is the way to go!
- Once your oil is good and hot, put your patties all in!
- Cook for about 5 to 7 minutes. Don’t flip them or squish them or poke them until the bottom side is brown and crisp. Then, gently flip and cook the other side after another 5 to 7 minutes. Once both sides are crispy and browned, you’re good. Take them off and let them cool just a little.