The origin of the hamburger is vaguely recorded. Despite common myths that it was initially made using ham, several theories have cropped up over the years – first attributing the idea of the minced beef or lamb patty to the Mongols, then to the German town of Hamburg, then to several businessmen in the USA, who sandwiched minced meat patties between slices of bread and served it to customers – all by chance. And today, I’ll share an extraordinary recipe for Smokey Chicken Burgers With Caramelised Onions and Homemade Mayo.
Nothing beats a juicy hamburger with a great filling, delicious toppings and the right sauce to go with it! Over the years, the burger has transformed from flavourings to toppings and even different sauces.
Global fast-food chains like Burger King and McDonald’s took the humble burger across the seas, and today, different regions have adapted this relatively customisable dish to their taste.
For instance, the variety of burgers that one would find in India’s McDonald’s (which I incidentally love – despite my aversion to too much fast and processed food). Or chicken bacon or beef bacon or pepperoni appear in burgers in the UAE.
Another adaptation of burgers has been using whole slices of meat – instead of minced meat. I’ve found that while it is easy to use any meat for such a burger – chicken works best since minced chicken can dry out relatively quickly. I developed this recipe last year when I stayed with friends when I first arrived in Dubai. I was itching to cook, and one day I decided to make these Smokey Chicken Burgers With Caramelised Onions and Homemade Mayo.
Over time, this Smokey Chicken Burgers With Caramelised Onions and Homemade Mayo recipe has remained the same and is quite a hit, so I made it again with some gorgeous Rosemary Potato Wedges for dinner.
Smokey Chicken Burgers With Caramelised Onions and Homemade Mayo
Grilled Chicken Ingredients
- 2 medium chicken breasts butterflied and split into halves
- 2 tablespoons paprika smoked or sweet
- 2 teaspoons chilli powder
- 2 tablespoons garlic crushed
- 4 tablespoons parsley chopped
- 1 dash salt
- 1 dash black pepper
- 2 tablespoons oil
Caramelised Onions Ingredients
- 4 medium onions finely sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
Homemade Mayonnaise Ingredients
- 1 medium egg
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teapsoon salt pepper and sugar to taste
- ½ teaspoon lemon juice
- 4 medium buns
- 1 bunch lettuce
- 4 slices cheese
Grilled Chicken Instructions
- Marinate the chicken with all the ingredients for half an hour.
- Grill on a griddle until cooked and set aside to rest while you assemble the rest of the burger.
Caramelised Onion Instructions
- Put the butter in a saucepan and heat it until just warm.
- Add the sliced onions and saute well until the onions sweat.
- Put in the salt and pepper and continue to saute until the onions become golden.
- At this point, add in the honey and stir until dark and jammy.
- Take the egg, salt, pepper, sugar, and blitz in a mixer.
- Now add oil in a stream and continue to blitz until the mayonnaise reaches a thick consistency.
- It may be possible that you do not need so much oil (it all depends on the density of the oil and the egg).
- Add the lemon juice, stir well and place in the fridge until you need to use it.
- Slice the burger buns horizontally.
- Toast them and apply mayonnaise on both sides.
- On the bottom bun, place the lettuce.
- Put the mayonnaise on that, topped with the chicken and then the onions.
- Place another lettuce piece (if you like) on top of that and cover with the top portion of the bun.
- Serve with potato wedges and ketchup.
- I like this burger the way it is. But feel free to add tomatoes, mustard, cucumber, and other toppings and condiments you would like.