While I don’t think you can define Australian Cuisine clearly, I believe Aussies do one thing brilliantly: They are masters of the BBQ. Summer parties around the BBQ are the ultimate pastime in this land. Aussies grill with grit and can sear a snag and caramelize onions like nobody’s business. Here’s the best grilled Aussie hamburger recipe that’s easy to make.
Food cooked on the grill tastes better, especially burgers. The seasoned plates give that hint of smokiness while still letting the flavour of the food shine through. So I thought I’d share my favourite grilled Aussie hamburger recipe. Cook these babies up, lather on your favourite condiments, and serve with a side of corn and salad for a winning combination.
Best Grilled Aussie Hamburger
- 1 Olive oil cooking spray
- ½ cup celery or onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 pound beef mince lean
- ¼ cup oats ground into flour
- ¼ cup sweet potato cooked and mashed
- 2 medium egg whites
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon Worcester sauce
- 1 pinch sea salt to taste
- 1 pinch ground black pepper to taste
- 4 medium wholegrain hamburger buns or gluten-free
- Spray a non-stick frypan with cooking oil and place it over medium heat. Add celery or onion and garlic. Cook for 5 to 10 minutes, or until translucent.
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix well with clean hands.
- Divide mixture evenly into 6 burgers.
- Cook on a preheated barbeque or grill pan for 4 to 5 minutes on each side.
- Serve with your favourite condiments, grilled corn, and a fresh summer salad.