The best way to enjoy Kangaroo meat is by making it into a Kangaroo burger. Kangaroo is a rich flavour and is best enjoyed with a range of burger condiments. Don’t be afraid to experiment; if it made a good beef burger, it would make an even better Kangaroo meat burger!
Juicy Kangaroo Burger
You can make a really juicy burger out of Kangaroo. Here is a a recipe for a Kangaroo burger that you'll absolutely love.
- 1 pound Kangaroo mince
- ½ medium onion finely sliced
- 1 medium egg
- 1 big pinch rosemary or thyme
- ½ medium lemon rind of lemon, or lime – finely grated
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- 1 pinch salt to taste
- 1 pinch pepper to taste
- 1 pinch spices to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small bag flaxseed or breadcrumbs for firmness
- 1 small jar Vegemite
- Mix the mince, onion, egg, rind, garlic, herbs and spices together in a bowl. Add some olive oil to moisten.
- To make a Kangaroo burger extra Australian, you can use Vegemite in your burger mix. Add a ½tablespoon, or to taste. It complements the flavour of the Kangaroo.
- If the burger mix is too wet, add flaxseed or breadcrumbs to the firm. Flaxseed is a healthy alternative to breadcrumbs, but either can be used – in moderation.
- Separate mix into six individual mounds. Flatten to the desired size. Let it sit at room temperature for a couple of minutes.
- Heat a frypan to medium to high and oil. Once the pan is hot, add burger mounds and fry until cooked. Cooking time depends on burger thickness but should be 5 to 10 minutes. Flip burgers during the process to ensure an even cook. Alternatively, consider a quality contact grill for more hassle-free and healthy burger cooking.
- Serve on a toasted bun with condiments of your choice. Possibilities range from bacon, lettuce and tomato to plum sauce, shiitake mushrooms and pine nuts.
Calories: 62kcalCarbohydrates: 2gProtein: 1gFat: 6gSaturated Fat: 1gPolyunsaturated Fat: 1gMonounsaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0.003gCholesterol: 27mgSodium: 24mgPotassium: 48mgFiber: 1gSugar: 1gVitamin A: 48IUVitamin C: 6mgCalcium: 14mgIron: 0.3mg
Did you give this recipe a whirl?We’re all ears to hear about your results!