This chicken parmigiana burger is a beautiful fusion of Italian and American cuisines and one which I’m sure neither nation would be particularly proud of! However, I dare either to dislike it!
Upon devouring, you’ll surely wonder why you’ve never put chicken parmigiana between bread before! It has everything necessary for the makings of a winning burger – the chicken is crisp, the Neapolitan style sauce is tangy and chunky, and the mozzarella is oozy, stringy, and cheesy – perfect!
The kids will adore the egging and breading process, and I’m certain you’ll find a fair amount of joy in the chicken breast bashing, too – there’s something oddly stress-relieving about this Chicken Parmigiana Burger!
- 4 free-range chicken breasts flattened with tenderiser
- 4 extra-large free-range eggs mixed for coating
- Approximately 200 grams of bread crumbs
- 1 cup of grated parmesan
- 1 tablespoon of thyme leaves (fresh or dried)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon of tomato paste
- 1 can of chopped tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- 1 teaspoon of paprika
- 1/2 – 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper depending on desired heat
- 1 teaspoon of dried oregano
- 4 slices of mozzarella
- 4 large rolls
- Season flattened chicken breasts lightly, and then combine bread crumbs, parmesan, and thyme in a large, flat dish. Season bread crumb mixture to taste.
- Dip chicken breasts in egg, and then bread crumbs, and repeat for a double breaded, extra crispy effect.
- Heat a pan to medium-high with a generous amount of oil and butter.
- Fry chicken breasts for a minute or two on each side until breading is crispy and golden, but the chicken is not cooked through. Set aside breasts for later.
- Heat another pan and saute the onion until translucent, and then add garlic to fry until fragrant.
- Fry tomato paste for a minute, add canned tomatoes and bring to the boil for a minute.
- Reduce heat to simmer, add sugar, paprika, cayenne pepper, oregano, and stir. Simmer until desired thickness, and season to taste. Set aside for later.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius, and bake chicken breasts for 5 to 10 minutes until cooked through but still juicy and tender.
- Once cooked, place chicken breasts in an oven dish, top with sauce and mozzarella, and put back to oven for a minute or two until cheese is melted.
- Serve chicken breasts in rolls alongside chips or salad.