This chicken parmigiana burger is a beautiful fusion of Italian and American cuisines and one which I’m sure neither nation would be particularly proud of! However, I dare either to dislike it!
Upon devouring, you’ll surely wonder why you’ve never put chicken parmigiana between bread before! It has everything necessary for the makings of a winning burger – the chicken is crisp, the Neapolitan style sauce is tangy and chunky, and the mozzarella is oozy, stringy, and cheesy – perfect!
The kids will adore the egging and breading process, and I’m certain you’ll find a fair amount of joy in the chicken breast bashing, too – there’s something oddly stress-relieving about this Chicken Parmigiana Burger!
Delightful Chicken Parmigiana Burger
- 4 medium chicken breast free-range, flattened with tenderiser
- 4 extra-large eggs free-range, mixed for coating
- 200 grams bread crumbs
- 1 cup parmesan grated
- 1 tablespoon thyme fresh or dried
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 1 can tomatoes chopped
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ¾ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 slices mozzarella
- 4 large rolls
- Season flattened chicken breasts lightly, and then combine bread crumbs, parmesan, and thyme in a large, flat dish. Season bread crumb mixture to taste.
- Dip chicken breasts in egg, and then bread crumbs, and repeat for a double breaded, extra crispy effect.
- Heat a pan to medium-high with a generous amount of oil and butter.
- Fry chicken breasts for a minute or two on each side until breading is crispy and golden, but the chicken is not cooked through. Set aside breasts for later.
- Heat another pan and saute the onion until translucent, and then add garlic to fry until fragrant.
- Fry tomato paste for a minute, add canned tomatoes and bring to the boil for a minute.
- Reduce heat to simmer, add sugar, paprika, cayenne pepper, oregano, and stir. Simmer until desired thickness, and season to taste. Set aside for later.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius, and bake chicken breasts for 5 to 10 minutes until cooked through but still juicy and tender.
- Once cooked, place chicken breasts in an oven dish, top with sauce and mozzarella, and put back to oven for a minute or two until cheese is melted.
- Serve chicken breasts in rolls alongside chips or salad.