These pumpkin quinoa burgers are sweet. It’s made of soft pumpkin with the subtle nutty flavour of the quinoa; together, it makes the perfect combination, especially when you add a fresh, crispy salad.
I am so happy with these little burgers. You can make them big for a meal or small as appetizer. They are tasty, wholesome and perfect for summer or winter weather.
Impress someone at your next function with these little delights. They’re simple to make, yet they never fail to surprise. I love that these pumpkin quinoa burgers are healthy as well; vegetarians and non-vegetarian folks will enjoy having them.
Hearty Pumpkin Quinoa Burgers
- 125 grams pumpkin chopped into 1-centimetre cubes and boiled
- ½ cup quinoa
- 1½ cups chicken stock
- ½ medium brown onion finely diced
- 1 small clove garlic crushed
- 1 medium egg lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- Place the pumpkin in a small saucepan covered with water and boil until soft.
- Meanwhile, place the quinoa and stock in a small saucepan over low-medium heat and simmer until the quinoa is cooked and has absorbed all the stock. As all brands can differ, refer to the packet for further details.
- While the quinoa and pumpkin are cooking, in a small, non-stick pan, add a small amount of coconut oil and onion. Cook over low heat until transparent and has begun to break down and caramelise.
- Add the garlic to the onion and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and place in a medium bowl.
- Strain the pumpkin and discard any remaining liquid in the cooked quinoa.
- Lightly mash/break up the pumpkin with a fork and add the quinoa to the onion mix. Add the egg and mix well.
- Using your hands, form patties of the mixture and place them into a hot pan with coconut oil. Cook the burgers for roughly 3 to 5 minutes on each side until they turn a golden brown and go slightly crispy. Gently flip to cook the other side.
- Serve with a side dish.