I was looking for a new way to enjoy my burgers without feeling guilty. So these butternut lentil burgers have become my go-to burgers, and I’m sure you’re going to love this if you are conscious about your health too.
I have only cooked these lentil burgers a few times and was never disappointed. These burgers are very easy to make. While picky eaters who don’t eat veggies may say “no” to this, I can guarantee that they might change their minds once they have tasted this recipe. Check out the easy recipe below.
Flavourful Butternut Lentil Burgers
- 1 cup butternut squash cubed
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup tomato chutney
- ½ cup red lentils cooked
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil not toasted
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 cup wheat gluten
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Toss cubes with olive oil and spread on a baking sheet. Roast for 45 minutes or until tender. Set aside.
- Lower oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Have another piece of parchment paper or baking mat and another cookie sheet.
- Combine squash, chutney, lentils, oil, garam masala and salt in a large bowl. Combine well with a potato masher.
- Add breadcrumbs and gluten and stir well.
- Divide preparation into ½ cup portions. Shape into burgers, about ½ inch thick. You should have 6 burgers.
- Place burgers on a prepared cookie sheet. Cover with another layer of parchment paper or baking mat and top with a second cookie sheet to keep burgers from puffing up too much.
- Bake for 35 minutes (no need to flip halfway through) until burgers are golden brown and firm.