Known as the best meatless burger patties, the Black Bean Freekeh burgers are healthy and affordable. Add chipotle chilli powder, and you’ll have to make more than just six sliders. Check out this very easy burger recipe that you’ll absolutely love.
- 1/4 cup of cracked freekeh
- 3/4 cup of water
- 1 15-ounce can of black beans, drained
- 1/2 medium red onion, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup corn kernels
- 1 tablespoon of chipotle chilli powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of cumin
- 1 teaspoon of paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper
- 1/4 cup fine-ground cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 medium avocado
- 1/2 cup of Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon of lime juice
- Combine the freekeh, water and salt in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for approximately 10 to 12 minutes, occasionally stirring, until all the water has been absorbed. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool completely.
- Use a fork to mash the black beans until pasty. You can also use a food processor. Add the cooled freekeh, onion, garlic, corn, chilli powder, cumin, paprika, cayenne, salt and black pepper, and mix until all the ingredients are incorporated.
- Scoop out about 1/3 cup of the black bean-freekeh mixture and use your hands to shape it into burgers.
- Place on a wax paper-lined plate. Repeat with the remainder of the mixture. Cover and put in the fridge for at least 1 hour.
- Remove the sliders from the refrigerator and lightly dust the top and bottom of each with a thin coating of fine ground cornmeal. Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large cast-iron or heavy-bottomed skillet. When the oil is hot but not smoking, add the sliders to the pan. Cook until golden brown for 5 to 7 minutes. Use a large spatula to flip the sliders over carefully. Cook the other side for another 5 to 7 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat.