This week I share with you my special recipe for falafel yam patties. You won’t need an oven to prepare or cook them. They are a great main meal served on their own with a salad or as a burger on a bun. Either way, you choose the way you want to eat them. Also, they are great with homemade tahini sauce.
Falafel Yam Patties
Craving for some yummy burgers but on a vegan diet? Here's a recipe for falafel yam patties that you'll absolutely love.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups onion finely diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 10 cups chickpeas cooked, 4 cups of dried chickpeas, soaked overnight and cooked
- 2 medium eggs
- 1 medium lemon zest
- 1 medium lemon juice
- ¼ cup tahini
- 3 cups yam cooked, steam diced yam until tender
- ¼ cup parsley finely chopped
- ¼ cup cilantro finely chopped
- 1 ½ cups quick oats
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 2 tablespoons ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 pinch ground black pepper to taste
- 1 small bottle oil for frying burgers
- Heat a large saucepan over medium fire, heat the olive oil and add onion and garlic. Cook for 4 minutes until translucent. Set aside.
- Puree chickpeas in a food processor with eggs, tahini, lemon juice and zest, and yam. Process until smooth.
- Transfer the puree into a large bowl and add the remaining ingredients, including onion and garlic. Form into patties using approximately ½ cup of mixture per patty.
- Fry patties in extra oil over medium heat until golden brown on each side for around 4 to 5 minutes per side.
- Serve with tahini sauce and diced cucumber and tomato. This can be served as a burger in a bun.
Calories: 198kcalCarbohydrates: 30gProtein: 8gFat: 6gSaturated Fat: 1gPolyunsaturated Fat: 2gMonounsaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0.001gSodium: 300mgPotassium: 427mgFiber: 7gSugar: 4gVitamin A: 117IUVitamin C: 7mgCalcium: 62mgIron: 3mg
Have you tried this recipe?Let us know what you think!