Got a lot of peas and artichokes in your fridge? Here’s a simple way you can turn them into a delicious meal. You can turn these veggies into this yummy pea and artichoke veggie burger. It doesn’t require much effort, but it’s guaranteed to fill you up.
- 2 14-ounce can of artichoke hearts, drained and rinsed
- 1 15-ounce can of cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups of frozen peas
- 8 ounces of haricots verts, blanched
- 1 cup of grated parmesan cheese
- ¾ cup of cup fresh mint
- ¾ cup of fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup of fresh dill
- ½ teaspoon of red pepper flakes
- 2 leeks, white parts only
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup of flour
- Juice of 2 whole lemons
- 4 burger buns
- Olive oil
- Cut the leeks and rinse them in a bowl of water, swooshing them around so that the dirt drains to the bottom of the bowl. Remove the leeks and rinse in a strainer so that there is no remaining grit.
- Next, heat a skillet over medium-low heat with 2 tablespoons of olive oil, add the leeks and a pinch of salt. Sauté for about 15 minutes; the leeks will become nice and soft. If they start to stick, add a bit more oil into the pan. When they have become translucent, remove them from the heat and set them aside.
- While preparing the leeks, put the artichoke hearts, peas, haricots verts and beans into the bowl of a food processer. Pulse 20 to 30 times until everything has mixed together but is still a little chunky, put contents into a large mixing bowl.
- Wipe out the food processor and then use it to chop the herbs, chopping each type separately so that you can measure them easily. Add a ½ cup of mint, ½ cup of parsley and ¼ cup of dill to the artichoke mixture.
- Next, add the cooked leeks, parmesan cheese, juice of 2 lemons, lemon zest, red pepper flakes, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, eggs and flour. Mix together until totally combined.
- Form into burger-shaped patties and place in the fridge for about 2 hours to firm up, or 1 hour in the freezer. At this point, you could freeze them completely to use another day or carry on with the procedure for cooking them.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and prepare a baking sheet with a piece of parchment paper. Place the patties on the parchment and bake them for 15 minutes. Flip them and bake for another 15 minutes. They will get a nice crust and will hold their shape nicely. Remove from the oven.
- Now, working in batches, heat olive oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Place the burgers into the hot oil, cooking for 2 minutes per side. This will give each side a nice golden colour to the crust! They are now ready to serve!
- While the burgers are crisping on the stovetop, toast the buns in the oven for about 5 minutes. After 5 minutes, remove them and slice them open, then drizzle the insides with olive oil.