Got a lot of peas and artichokes in your fridge? Here’s a simple way you can turn them into a delicious meal. You can turn these veggies into this yummy pea and artichoke veggie burger. It doesn’t require much effort, but it’s guaranteed to fill you up.
Pea and Artichoke Veggie Burger
- 2 can artichoke hearts 14-ouch each can, drained and rinsed
- 1 can cannellini beans 15-ounce can, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups frozen peas
- 8 ounces haricots verts blanched
- 1 cup parmesan cheese grated
- ¾ cup mint fresh
- ¾ cup parsley fresh
- ¼ cup dill fresh
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 stalks leeks white parts only
- 2 medium eggs beaten
- ½ cup flour
- 2 medium lemon juice
- 4 medium burger buns
- ½ cup olive oil
- Cut the leeks and rinse them in a bowl of water, swooshing them around so that the dirt drains to the bottom of the bowl. Remove the leeks and rinse in a strainer so that there is no remaining grit.
- Next, heat a skillet over medium-low heat with 2 tablespoons of olive oil, add the leeks and a pinch of salt. Sauté for about 15 minutes; the leeks will become nice and soft. If they start to stick, add a bit more oil into the pan. When they have become translucent, remove them from the heat and set them aside.
- While preparing the leeks, put the artichoke hearts, peas, haricots verts and beans into the bowl of a food processer. Pulse 20 to 30 times until everything has mixed together but is still a little chunky, put contents into a large mixing bowl.
- Wipe out the food processor and then use it to chop the herbs, chopping each type separately so that you can measure them easily. Add a ½ cup of mint, ½ cup of parsley and ¼ cup of dill to the artichoke mixture.
- Next, add the cooked leeks, parmesan cheese, juice of 2 lemons, lemon zest, red pepper flakes, ½ teaspoon of salt, eggs and flour. Mix together until totally combined.
- Form into burger-shaped patties and place in the fridge for about 2 hours to firm up, or 1 hour in the freezer. At this point, you could freeze them completely to use another day or carry on with the procedure for cooking them.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and prepare a baking sheet with a piece of parchment paper. Place the patties on the parchment and bake them for 15 minutes. Flip them and bake for another 15 minutes. They will get a nice crust and will hold their shape nicely. Remove from the oven.
- Now, working in batches, heat olive oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Place the burgers into the hot oil, cooking for 2 minutes per side. This will give each side a nice golden colour to the crust! They are now ready to serve!
- While the burgers are crisping on the stovetop, toast the buns in the oven for about 5 minutes. After 5 minutes, remove them and slice them open, then drizzle the insides with olive oil.