After a series of burger experiments, I have for you the mushroom burger patties that goes PERFECTLY with homemade condiments, fresh vegetables and oven-baked chips! It’s a satisfying summer comfort food!
Portobello Mushroom Burger Patties
I found that mushrooms are among the best vegetable alternative to put in a yummy burger. Here's a portobello mushroom burger patties you can try.
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup Portobello mushrooms diced into 1-centimetre chunks
- 1 cup kale leaves loose, oughly torn
- 1 cup chickpeas rinsed and drained
- ¼ cup spring onions
- 1 medium garlic clove finely diced
- 1 medium free-range egg whisked
- ½ teaspoon curry powder unsweetened
- 2 teaspoons mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons lupin flakes
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes
- ½ teaspoon tamarind sauce
- ½ teaspoon tamarind paste
- ½ teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 1 pinch ground cloves
- 1 pinch ground hot chilli powder
- Add chickpeas to saucepan, cover with water, and heat over medium flame for 8 to 12 minutes or until chickpeas are soft. Drain and set aside. Once cool, add half of the chickpeas to the mixing bowl and mash with a masher (chunks are okay!).
- Next, add the mushrooms, the rest of the chickpeas, kale, garlic, spring onions, spices, vinegar, tamarind sauce and paste. Mix until just coated.
- Add the egg, nutritional yeast flakes and lupin flakes and mix gently with a large spoon until well combined.
- Then, using dampened hands, form the mixture into palm-sized patties and press down to flatten (aim for around 2 centimetres) – the mixture should hold its shape; if it doesn’t, add a bit extra lupin flakes/bread crumbs.
- Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil to frypan and heat over medium flame. Once hot, carefully add 2 to 3 patties to the pan and fry for 4 to 6 minutes per side or until golden brown and crispy. Don’t worry if the patty looks a little underdone; it will firm up once rested.
- Enjoy sandwiched and sauced or on top of a summer salad.
Calories: 163kcalCarbohydrates: 11gProtein: 6gFat: 11gSaturated Fat: 2gPolyunsaturated Fat: 2gMonounsaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0.003gCholesterol: 27mgSodium: 21mgPotassium: 261mgFiber: 4gSugar: 2gVitamin A: 1213IUVitamin C: 12mgCalcium: 55mgIron: 2mg
Have you tried this recipe?Let us know what you think!