I think it’s about time we make another black bean burger recipe, don’t you? I served this Quinoa and Black Bean Burger on sesame bagels, which was awesome. It made the whole thing heartier and chewier. I recommend it. Top them with ketchup, hummus, lettuce, avocado (plain or as guacamole), spinach, arugula, red onions–the possibilities are endless. It also pairs pretty well with a good beer.
Filling Quinoa and Black Bean Burger
- 1 tablespoon flax egg
- ½ cup quinoa
- 1 cup water
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic granulated
- ½ large sweet onion finely diced
- ½ medium red bell pepper finely diced
- ½ cup corn frozen or fresh
- 1 can black beans rinsed
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1 tablespoon yeast
- ⅔ cup pastry flour whole wheat
- First, make your flax egg: Whisk together water and flax and refrigerate until you need it (that gives it time to thicken).
- Next, rinse the quinoa well, then bring to a boil in the water with the granulated garlic and a pinch of salt. Once it boils, lower the heat to low and cover for 15 minutes. When the 15 minutes is up, remove from heat, uncover, and let stand for 10 more minutes.
- While the quinoa is cooking, mash the black beans and dice the bell pepper and onion. In a mixing bowl, combine the beans, veggies, cooked quinoa, and the rest of the ingredients (don’t forget your flax egg in the fridge).
- Shape into 4 large patties and place on a cookie sheet that has been greased or covered in parchment paper. The mixture will seem goopy, but they firm up nicely in the oven, so don’t worry.
- Bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 40 minutes, turning once halfway through. These would be super delicious with oven-baked fries or a good salad.