I have always loved the zinger burger from KFC. So that’s why I thought of making my version of the classic sandwich from the famous fast-food chain.
This is my take on making a zinger sandwich at home, all made with fresh ingredients and locally sourced free-range chicken. KFC keeps all their recipes as closely guarded secrets, but clever people out there have reproduced their famous coatings.
The coating for the zinger burger is almost identical to taste and texture as the real thing. Follow the instructions below to so you will know how to make a zinger sandwich at home.
- Chicken Marinate Ingredients
- 1 teaspoon of chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon of mustard powder
- A dash of ground white pepper
- A dash of ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 2 fresh chicken breasts
- Batter Ingredients
- 1 cup of natural plain yoghurt
- 1 cup of water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of chilli
- 1/2 teaspoon of mustard powder
- A dash of black pepper
- A dash of white pepper
- 1 cup of plain flour
- Vegetable oil, for cooking
- Assembly Ingredients
- 2 burger buns
- Slice of cheese
- The first step in how to make a zinger burger at home is marinading the chicken. Mix the following, 1 teaspoon of chilli powder, 1 teaspoon of mustard powder, 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper, 1/2 teaspoon of ground black pepper, 1 teaspoon of salt.
- Next, take your uncooked chicken fillets and apply this mix to them. Coat the chicken evenly, place the chicken in some cling film, and put this into the refrigerator for 4 to 5 hours.
- Take 1 cup of yoghurt and add 1 cup of water, so you get a paste that's not quite as thick as the yoghurt itself. Keep this to one side.
- Next, add 1 cup of plain flour to a bowl. Then, add 1 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder, 1 teaspoon of salt, 1/2 teaspoon of mustard powder, a dash of white pepper, and a dash of black pepper. Mix very well. Once you have a bowl of yoghurt and a bowl of mixed flour, you are nearly ready to begin making the chicken zinger pieces.
- In a frying pan, add some oil, quite a bit as to semi-deep fry the chicken pieces and bring to heat. Next, take the chicken piece and dip it into the yoghurt mix, shake off the excess yoghurt and then place and cover it in the dry flour mix. You may need to repeat this process 3 to 5 times.
- Once you have finished covering the chicken, you are ready to cook the chicken in the heated oil. When you have a lovely golden colour, and the chicken is cooked through, you are ready to assemble the burger.
- Cut a burger bun in two and toast the insides of the bun. On the bottom section of the bun, place the chicken zinger pieces. On top of this, add some chopped lettuce on the top side of the bun, apply some mayonnaise, a slice of cheese, and close the burger up.