So burgers are a big deal. Everywhere is still loving them and their sky-high toppings. Usually, they’re an excuse for weird meat lusting, and the only non-meat goods on offer is a repressed little breaded veggie burger with no exciting toppings. None for your veggie, all you can have is a rubbery slice of cheese! Good thing, I learned to make this sweet potato tofu burgers to save me from those “veggie” burgers.
Most veggie burgers I’ve come across have been a mixture of vegetables all smushed together and coated in bread crumbs. That’s not really what I class as a burger; I need more substance than that. The burger should be a more significant player than the coating, and that’s not usually the case. This vegan sweet potato and tofu burger is a far bigger player than its semolina coating. But don’t worry, semolina isn’t a weak option; it adds a crispy finish and stops everything from falling apart.
Healthy Sweet Potato Tofu Burgers
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 120 grams tofu
- ½ tablespoon tahini
- 1 teaspoon dark agave syrup
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch black pepper
- ¼ cup semolina
- 3 medium burger buns
- Preheat the oven to 210 degrees Celsius and cover a baking tray with parchment.
- Microwave the sweet potato on full power until soft. Carefully scoop out the flesh into a large mixing bowl.
- Crumble the tofu into the bowl and mash into the potato with a fork. Mix the tofu and sweet potato until the tofu falls apart even more.
- Add the tahini, agave syrup, garlic, rosemary, and paprika and combine. Season the mixture with salt and pepper.
- Pour the semolina onto a deep plate and spread it out evenly.
- Using your hands, form the mixture into 3 burgers and press each side into the semolina until completely coated. This will be quite messy so do it one at a time, placing each burger onto the baking tray once it’s coated.
- Bake the burgers in the centre of the oven for 25 minutes. For an extra crunchy finish, grill the burgers on high heat for a further minute.
- Put the burgers onto the bread and add your desired toppings.