These Appetizing Gluten-Free Lentil-Chickpea Burgers Recipe are not the standard fall-apart 15 ingredient ones that leave you wanting more. They’re dense, tasty, gluten-free, soy-free, and super satisfying. Oh, and they take about 15 minutes from start to finish! Make a big batch and freeze the veggie burgers individually for a quick lunch or dinner when you’re short on time.
- 2 cups of cooked green or brown lentils
- ½ cup of cooked chickpeas
- ½ medium onion, roughly chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and coarsely grated
- 3 cloves of garlic, smashed
- ½ cup of gluten-free rolled oats
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon of chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon of smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon of harissa
- Chickpea flour or other gluten-free flour for dusting
- Olive oil for the pan
- Avocado, thinly sliced
- Onion, thinly sliced
- To cook the lentils, rinse 1 cup of dry lentils and add to a pot with a bay leaf and a few peppercorns; add 2 cups of water. Bring to a boil, then turn the heat down and simmer for approximately 25 minutes. Lentils' cooking times may vary slightly. Check after about 15 minutes for tenderness. If there's excess water after cooking-drain, and pat dry.
- Drain, rinse and pat dry the chickpeas. Combine lentils, chickpeas, onion, garlic, eggs, oats, chilli powder, paprika, and harissa in a food processor and pulse until it's the consistency of a thick, chunky hummus. Stir in the carrot. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Divide the mixture into 6 even portions. With slightly moist hands, form 6 patties and season again with salt and pepper.
- Lightly dust each side of the patties with gluten-free flour to avoid sticking.
- If grilling, after forming the patties, oil the grill and add the patties to the grill, cooking over medium-high heat for approximately 5 minutes on each side (don't move until they're ready to be flipped).
- If cooking on the stove, heat your pan and add enough olive oil to cover the bottom of the pan thinly. Heat until the oil is shimmering. Add the burgers, leaving enough space in the pan, and cook on each side for about five minutes, or until they're slightly browned and holding together. Burgers are ready to eat or freeze them individually wrapped burgers to eat another time.