Want to add a bit of zip to your weekend? With the zesty flavour of roasted green chillies, this healthy and cheesy Southwest turkey cheddar burger recipe is packed with flavour, not heat. Adding gluten-free breadcrumbs ensures that this is the most flavorful and moist turkey burger possible.
This is the perfect burger recipe to serve your family when craving a juicy but healthy burger. It’s filled with cheesy goodness! After all, who doesn’t like cheese in their burgers, right? Check out the very delicious recipe you will absolutely love.
Heavenly Southwest Turkey Cheddar Burger Recipe
- 4 ounces green chillies fire-roasted and diced
- ½ cup sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 pound ground turkey lean
- 3 tablespoons dry breadcrumbs
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons onion grated
- ½ teaspoon garlic salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 4 medium hamburger buns whole-wheat
- 4 large lettuce leaves washed and dried
- 1 large tomato sliced
- Drain the chillies. Measure out 1/4 cup into a small bowl and combine with the cheese. Set aside.
- Pour the remaining chillies into a large bowl. Add the turkey, breadcrumbs, and all of the spices. Mix gently to combine. Separate the mixture into 4 balls. Divide each ball in half and flatten it to form two 4-inch patties. Sprinkle ¼ of the chile-cheese mix onto the centre of each patty, leaving about a 3/4-inch ring around the edge free of cheese and top with the remaining patties. Pinch the edges together to seal the cheese and flatten patties to an even thickness (For best results, chill the burgers before cooking.)
- Heat a grill or grill pan over medium-high heat. Add the patties and cook for 3 to 4 minutes on each side, or until cooked through. Remove and let sit for 2 minutes.
- Warm the buns and add a lettuce leaf, sliced tomato, extra cheese. and burger, if desired, to the bottom half of the buns. Top with remaining bun halves.