Venison (deer meat) is a very healthy alternative to ground beef. If you are trying to cut back on fat, calories and cholesterol, you will be pleased to know that you can enjoy these gourmet venison burgers as a heart-healthy meal. Venison contains less than half the calories of lean ground beef and also has only half the cholesterol.
Because venison is generally only sold from specialty farms, farmers markets or is harvested in the wild; the meat quality is usually much better than beef bought in a grocery store. The taste is different from beef, but it is delicious and has that same “bite” of satisfaction. Nevertheless, you’ll enjoy devouring these gourmet venison burgers you can do when you got venison meat.
- 1 1/2 pound of ground venison
- 1/2 cup of bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of fresh cracked pepper
- 1-2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup of minced onion
- 1/4 cup of finely chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons of A1 steak sauce(or steak sauce of your choice)
- 1 teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce
- 4 burger buns
- Sharp cheddar cheese slices
- Tomato slices
- Onion slices
- Dijon mustard
- Deli sliced pickles
- Combine the beef, salt, bread crumbs, egg, pepper, garlic, onion, basil, steak sauce, and Worcestershire sauce until well mixed. Form into 4 even patties.
- These burgers can be grilled on an oiled grill, broiled or pan-fried in a cast-iron skillet (my preference). Cook until the centre is no longer pink. In the last minute of cooking, place cheese slices on top of patties to melt.
- Place venison burgers on the burger buns and top with Dijon, tomato, lettuce, onion slices and pickles. Enjoy this healthy gourmet burger!
Do not flatten burgers with a spatula while cooking. This removes all of the juice and leaves them dry.